Automatic Translation

Friday, October 2, 2020

Cammino verso Assisi (Cammino di San Jacopo in Toscana) Day 19 Calenzano - Firenze!

My hosts at Casa Matta took me back down to the spot where I stopped walking yesterday, and I started the day with a steep climb to the castle of Calenzano, and then a descent to the modern part of Calenzano, followed by another climb to the church of San Donato. After crossing under the motorway and through the industrial district of Settimello, the trail went uphill through the woods to Via delle Cappelle, a panoramic and little-travelled road where I caught my first glimpse of the dome of Florence Cathedral. 

Gregory at La Casa Matta

Gate to Calenzano Castello

Calenzano Castello

Calenzano Castello

San Donato

View of Florence 

A long straight stretch on narrow paved lanes with stone walls on either side took me to a stone bridge over a stream, built in 1390.



I then passed by a series of Medici villas, including Villa Reale di Castello, now home to the Accademia della Crusca, the institution entrusted with the protection of the Italian language, with the authority to make decisions on what is and ain't proper grammar. 



The last of the three villas was home to a healthcare facility, and there began the hospital district of Florence. I walked around a great variety of medical institutions, and waited until I was through them before stopping for some lunch and a rest break before heading into the historic heart of the city of Florence. 

The Cammino di San Jacopo in Toscana enters (or exits) the city of Florence via the botanical gardens, passing a surreal giant serpent sculpture somewhat reminiscent of the one by Gaudí in Barcelona, a Florentine Crystal Palace built in 1880, and a horticultural market selling flowers and potted plants. 





I entered the city centre through Porta San Gallo and proceeded along Via San Gallo, a street once lined with pilgrim hostels, now apparently a trendy neighbourhood with plenty of interesting shops, bars and restaurants - to be investigated at a later date! I passed the Basilica di San Lorenzo and suddenly found myself in front of the Cathedral! 


Porta San Gallo, old city gate, 
now stranded in the middle of a traffic circle




There was a line-up to get into the Cathedral, but it was short compared to non-Covid times, so I went in. However there was no-one in the sacristy to stamp my pilgrim passport - the priest must have been out to lunch - so I went on to Santa Croce and had it stamped there. 

After visiting a couple of other major sights in Florence, I decided I'd had enough of walking for the time being, and took the train home! 










Calenzano - Firenze 21 km

Cammino di San Jacopo in Toscana Lucca - Firenze 129 km in 5 days

Chiavari - Firenze total 414 km, in 19 days



1 comment:

  1. Certainly, conquer Florence by just walking has no equal. Congratulations

    ReplyDelete