Automatic Translation

Saturday, September 29, 2018

Hadrian's Wall Path 4: The Sill - Wall (23.5 km)

A clear morning, with a touch of frost on the grass! I climbed back up the crags at Steel Rigg, past milecastle 39 and into Sycamore Gap, among the most iconic spots on the Wall.


From the top of the succeeding crag I could look back at Peel Crag and Crag Lough and forward along a beautiful stretch of good solid Wall snaking up and down the slopes.



Sometimes, to avoid going up to the top of every single crag, I followed the route if the ancient Roman Military Way behind it.



At milecastle 37, part of the arch over the north gate has survived. I stopped here to enjoy the sunshine.



There followed a short section through the woods where the path is actually on top of the Wall.



At Housesteads Roman Fort I visited the museum and the ruins, and met up with my life-long friend Jennifer, who has come to walk with me for the weekend! We proceeded together along a beautiful stretch of Wall as the Crags gradually levelled off, stopping for lunch at the temple of Mithras in the unexcavated fort of Brocolitia.








From here the presence of the Wall became less continuous. 


After one more stop to visit Chesters Roman Fort - taking advantage of my investment in a nine-day Overseas Visitor Pass for all English Heritage Sites - we soon came to our final destination for the day, the appropriately named Hadrian's Hotel in Wall, where a pint of Sycamore Gap Pale Ale, a delicious dinner and a soft bed awaited us


The Sill - Wall 23.5 km


No comments:

Post a Comment