Automatic Translation

Saturday, June 4, 2022

Road to Home 2022 Day 20: St Albans - Elstree

20 km

Got off to a slow start today! Kairbaan made a special birthday breakfast for Mike, and I joined in the family breakfast and the opening of the birthday presents. Then Mike walked with me to the town centre to shop at the market for ingredients for his birthday dinner party, while I paid a visit to the cathedral.

The Abbey at St Albans was historically the most important in all of England, built over the tomb of the country's first Christian martyr. Alban was a young man who lived in the Roman town of Verulamiun, who one day gave shelter to a man in need, a Christian priest fleeing persecution. Alban converted to Christianity, and when the Roman soldiers came to arrest the priest, he offered himself to them instead, and was martyred for his faith. The abbey dates back to around the year 1000, with many later repairs, additions and modifications. 








17th century graffiti 


The peeking loft, from which the monks kept an eye on the pilgrims visiting the shrine


The shrine of St Alban

I finally set off from the cathedral, with a proper stamp in my pilgrim passport for once, and followed the River Ver walk. The River Ver is small, more of a stream than a river, but is a rare chalk river, flowing over a bed of highly porous chalk: there are only about 240 rivers of this type in the world. 












I followed the River Ver walk across the M25 via a footbridge and then joined up with the Hertfordshire Way, which took me through fields and woods to the pretty village of Letchmore Heath.





After a short break I continued along a section of trail that involved crossing an active airfield, which was rather strange.... Small planes came in to land from time to time, luckily none while I was crossing the runway!! Then I crossed a reservoir, walking over the dam... Plenty of variety on today's short stage! Finally I arrived at the railway station of Elstree-Borehamwood, just in time to catch a train to St Albans and back to my host family. 









When I arrived there was no-one in the house, but delicious spicy aromas wafted on the air: preparations had been underway for Mike's birthday dinner party. I had just enough time to write this up and take a shower, before I heard people coming in the door... 

Ah! The sound of a cork popping. Time to go downstairs and see what's happening! 😁 🍾🥂




My gracious hosts Kairbaan, Zari, Soonu & Mike



No comments:

Post a Comment