Automatic Translation

Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Via Romea Germanica: Getting there

Night train to Germany

The great thing about living in Europe is that you can travel anywhere by train. And with a night train, you can go to sleep in your home country and wake up on the other side of the Alps!  


This is the second time I've taken the OBB (Austrian railways) Nightjet from Rapallo to Munich. It's so convenient - get on the train one stop from home (unfortunately it doesn't stop in my town), wake up in Austria, have breakfast (included in the ticket price) and get off in Germany!

This time I discovered the difference between the couchettes and the sleeping car service. I had booked a bed in a sleeping car, but they actually put me in a couchette, because there wasn't a sleeping car available. I still got the sleeping car kit, though: a pair of slippers, a washcloth, an eyemask and earplugs, a pen with which to select your choice of breakfast foods from the menu, and... Ein Glas Sekt

Passing through Genoa on the OBB Nightjet at aperitivo time


Guten Nacht!

Waking up in Austria, I peeked under the window blind and saw that the train was surrounded by fog, and a light rain was falling. I made up my bed so that I could sit upright, and the attendant brought my breakfast. Included in the ticket is a choice of six items from the breakfast menu; if you want more you can pay extra for it. You have to calculate carefully though, because butter and jam each count as an item 😄

Breakfast in Austria

The train stopped for some time at the German border while the police came through. We were lucky on this trip, the Austrian police did not wake us up to check ID at 4 am, as they sometimes do! The days of free border crossings within the EU are over.

The Nightjet rolled into Munich an hour late, and I hopped off at the first station,  München Ostbahnhof, where my friend Barbara came to meet me. Barbara and I participate in online yoga lessons together and did a yoga retreat together in March; when I told Barbara I was coming to Munich, she arranged to take the day off to show me around. 

München 

Munich is Germany's third-largest city, and the capital of Bavaria. Of medieval origin, the city has risen in importance as a centre of art, architecture and science over the past two hundred years. I have been to Munich twice before, both times in December, in the snow; the city looked quite different in April, with the new leaves such a bright shade of green, the tulip beds and the lilac trees in blossom. 

My personal tour guide for the day, Barbara, didn't take me to Marienplatz and the classic tourist spots I had seen on my previous visits, but to some of her favourite neighbourhoods, starting with the "French quarter" to the east of the river Isar.









We enjoyed an amazing vegetarian lunch at IUNU Kochwerkstatt und Ladencafé, then met up with my Scottish friend Emma, currently living in Munich, to take a walk in the English Gardens, Munich's gigantic urban park. 

The Japanese teahouse


View from the Greek temple


The Chinese tower

This included a stop to watch the Munich surfers! Apparently Munich is a well-known surfing destination. Surfers come from far and wide to ride the artificial waves created by the change in level of the river next to a bridge... who would have thought?




Next we were treated to a tour of the university physics lab where Emma's husband Quinten works, with a brief but baffling explanation of his work with semiconductors. I wasn't sure if I might get him in trouble taking pictures inside the lab, so I settled for one of a scary sign on the door 😄


The afternoon continued with a stroll around the lively Schwabing district, where I met a walker who will surely be in Rome well before me! 


Having visited the French quarter, the English Gardens, the Japanese Teahouse, the Greek Temple and the Chinese Tower, having plenty of time before our dinner reservation at an Afghan restaurant.... Barbara and I decided it was time to do something German! And so we sat down in a traditional Bavarian beer hall over a big (small by German standards) glass of beer. Mine was a dunkel Weißbier, proving that the Weiß in Weißbier actually stands for wheat (Weizer) and not Weiß (white) - however magical German beer may be, it cannot be both dark (dunkel) and white at the same time! 😅

We then walked from the city centre back across the Isar to the Gasteig district to meet Emma and Quinten for dinner at the excellent Afghan restaurant where we had dined together in December, Chopan am Gasteig. Munich has an abundance of intriguing ethnic restaurants of all kinds, and I figure I will have plenty of time to eat German food on my way walking back down the country!

I still had some time to wait before my Nightjet train to Hamburg. Barbara kindly kept me company even after I had retrieved my backpack from the trunk of her car. We sat chatting on a bench in the underground station rather than stand in the corridor of the cold and comfortless Ostbahnhof (Munich East) railway station. But eventually the time came to emerge above ground; a last-minute change of track added a touch of suspense and excitement to the evening, and then the Nightjet from Innsbruck finally steamed into the station (figuratively speaking) and I located the appropriate sleeping car - important, as the train splits in two along the way, and only half of the cars go to Hamburg, the other half to Amsterdam!

I had been looking forward to the ride on the new OBB Nightjet rolling stock, in service only since December, featuring individual mini-cabins in the couchette car. Mini is definitely the right word - this is not the way to travel if you suffer from claustrophobia,  or have a good-sized Bavarian beer belly, like the poor gentleman squeezed into the cabin just down the hall! I doubt he got much sleep.... But I was perfectly comfortable in my cabin, and slept much better than on the previous night's train because the new trains have a much smoother ride and don't roll and jolt you about like the older rolling stock on the La Spezia - Munich line. 

OBB Nightjet mini-cabin




A touchscreen in the cabin allows you to control the colour and intensity of the lighting, see whether the washrooms are occupied, and call the attendant to order food and drinks


It's less claustrophobic if you block the door open in the morning 


Breakfast time!

The Nightjet rolled into Hamburg Hauptbahnhof 150 minutes late. Luckily I had notified my contact in Hamburg, Claudia, of the delay. Claudia is a Servas member, a retired German teacher who speaks perfect English because she has lived in the USA, and a big fan of the Camino de Santiago: as soon as I read her profile information on the Servas website, I realised she would be the perfect person to meet up with in Hamburg! 


Hamburg

Claudia said she would meet me at the train station "under the flowers", and it took me a few minutes to figure exactly where she meant... though once I spotted it, it was obvious! 

Hamburg: Hier beginnt das Aufblühen
"This is where the blossoming begins!"


Hamburg Hauptbahnhof 


With Claudia and der Wasserträger
"Hummel, hummel! Mors, mors!" 

Claudia helped me find the luggage lockers and then began giving me an exclusive tour of Hamburg before we were even out of the train station, telling me the story of the symbol of the city, der Wasserträger, and pointing out to me a local specialty, franzbrötchen, literally " French buns".


The story goes that when the city was conquered by Napoleon, the French introduced croissants, and the local bakers attempted to imitate them ...but they didn't turn out quite the same 😄

Hamburg is Germany's second-largest city, after Berlin, with a population of almost 2 million; the population of the Hamburg Metropolitan Area exceeds 5 million! Germany's largest port, Hamburg is located where the Elbe River branches out to begin its 110-km-long estuary flowing into the North Sea. The city has survived a series of disasters - destruction by the Vikings in 845 and by the Polish in 1030, the Black Death which killed over half of its population in 1350, Napoleon's conquest of Hamburg (and the subsequent failure to make proper croissants 😄), the 1842 Great Fire of Hamburg, the last major outbreak of cholera in a European city (killing 8600 people in 1892), World War II bombing and the North Sea flood of 1962. The city has survived all these calamities and grown into a major centre of industry, media, finance, science and education. Hamburg is the birthplace of former German chancellors Helmut Schmidt and Angela Merkel, and the city's former mayor, Olaf Scholz, is the country's current chancellor.


Hamburg around 1600
by Georg Braun/ Frans Hogenberg 


Hamburg Eilbek after the 1943 bombing
Photo by Royal Air Force photographer J. Dowd  



Flooded streets in Hamburg-Wilhelmsburg in February 1962
Photo by Gerhard Pietsch 

We began our tour of Hamburg walking along the waterfront to the Rathaus, under a beautiful clear blue sky.







Rathaus


Luxury shopping gallery with Art Deco ceilings

We then passed by the monument to the dead of World War I, and I told Claudia about my walk of the last two years from my great-grandfather's birthplace in northern England to his tomb in the Somme. We stopped at the bombed-out remains of the church of Saint Nicholas, and passed over several Stolpersteine, "stumbling stones" placed outside the former homes of Holocaust victims.

Monument to the dead of the First World War 


Stolpersteine


The tower of the bombed church of Saint Nicholas





Then came the scariest experience in Hamburg  - stepping into a "Pater Nostrum", a constantly moving elevator without doors... you just hang onto a handhold bar and jump into the moving elevator! 😱 At the top of the building you are plunged into total darkness as the elevator changes direction. 

I'll leave it up to you to figure out the reason for the name "Pater Nostrum"!

Stepping into a moving elevator...
Surely this is against European building safety regulations?? 😆


After this excitement we wandered around the Speicherstadt, built from 1883 to 1927, the largest warehouse district in the world where the buildings stand on timber-pile foundations: like the city of Venice, all those massive constructions are built on "stilts", consisting of oak logs. After a short break for lunch we explored the adjacent HafenCity quarter – an all-new mixed-use development begun in 2008, including apartment buildings, offices, and Herzog and De Meuron's Elbphilharmonie concert hall, inaugurated in 2017. Accessed via the longest escalator in Europe, the lobby and panoramic terraces of the Elbphilharmonie ‐ affectionately referred to by the locals as "Elphi" - are freely accessible to the public.










We then walked along the bank of the Elbe River to a dock where we could hop onto a river ferry (included in my Deutschlandticket) and enjoy more views of Elphie from the water, as well as ships loading and unloading in the port of Hamburg. 







The river ferries mainly transport workers







Sitting down on the boat, I realised how tired I was getting. So upon disembarking we took the scenic light rail line back to Hauptbahnhof to recover my backpack from its locker, and Claudia made sure I got onto the right local train for Stade. I messaged pilgrim hostess and trail angel Sigrid, and she came to meet me at the station in Stade. 

But... I'll write about my evening in Stade in the next post, about Day 1 on the Via Romea Germanica!


Fun fact: The original hamburger

The term Hamburger steak was first added to the Oxford Dictionary in 1802, defined as "a sometimes-smoked and -salted piece of meat that, according to some sources, came from Hamburg to America." The original may well have been the Hamburg specialty Frikadelle, a rounded, flat-bottomed, pan-fried meatball, also popular in Denmark, Poland and Scandinavia (think Ikea meatballs!). Curiously, frikadel are also made in Indonesia and South Africa, where they were introduced by the Dutch and are made primarily of mashed potatoes, with only a small amount of ground meat. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment