Automatic Translation

Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Camino Frances Day 40: Hospital de Órbigo - Rabanal del Camino

Pasado y futuro son frutos de tu mente
- graffiti outside Astorga

Today I walked 37 kilometres, alone, uphill, and into a strong wind.

Never thought I could do something like this, but now it feels perfectly natural!


I left Albergue Verde revived and refreshed after meditation, yoga/stretching, the best dinner I've had anywhere on the Camino, and a full eight hours of uninterrupted sleep - for the first time since leaving Italy!

Breakfast was muesli with soy milk, and leftover chocolate cake from dinner, so I also set off on a full stomach. On the way to Astorga I met the Yorkshire couple and the Québec couple I'd had dinner wilth back in Mansilla de las Mulas, and walked with them for a while. Later on I also met the girl from Saskatchewan walking with the guy from Denmark, whom I had last seen coming out of Burgos! Funny how people disappear then suddenly reappear, all along the Camino!



Let's see how many flowers we can fit into this tiny garden! - said someone in Villares de Órbigo 





I stopped in Astorga long enough to visit another Gaudí building - the bishop's palace, now home to the Museo del Camino - and the cathedral with its annexed museum. 

Pilgrim labyrinth on the way into Astorga

Mosaic floor in the Roman baths in Astorga 

Bishop's palace by Gaudí in Astorga 



This crucifix in the Museo del Camino looks amazingly modern, but actually dates from the 12th century 

Astorga cathedral

Astorga cathedral

No country for vegetarians

... Or teetotallers
From Astorga I walked another 20 km into a strong headwind, on a path that looked like this the whole way:


Strange clouds appeared on the horizon and it actually rained for a few minutes.


I was ready to stop for the night by the time I arrived in Rabanal del Camino at 6:15 pm. Just enough time to shower before Vespers, sung in Latin in Gregorian Chant by the monks at Monasterio Monte Irate.



Tonight I sleep in a barn, with three other pilgrims and a mouse, all guests of the British branch of the Confraternity of St. James. And we have all been blessed, and sprinkled with holy water, by the monks. Except the mouse.
Hope he behaves himself tonight anyway, and doesn't get into the chocolate from Astorga in my backpack!






No comments:

Post a Comment