Automatic Translation

Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Camino Frances Day 26: Villamayor de Monjardin- Viana

Walking . . . is how the body measures itself against the earth

- Rebecca Solnit, Wanderlust: A History of Walking

Finally succeeded in getting up and out before dawn! After walking 12 km, we arrived in Los Arcos just as the town was waking up: shops were beginning to open and children were going to school. Had a second breakfast of tortilla and orange juice before setting off to power-walk along a dirt track in the sun another 10 km to Sansol. This was where we had been intending to stop for the day, but as it was only 11 am we decided to walk another 11 km to Viana. This part of today's stage included more ups and downs, but we managed to arrive in Viana and get a bed in the municipal hostel in time to go out for a "pilgrims' menu" lunch...

Since when have I been capable of walking 30 kilometres before lunch??




Los Arcos

Vehicle for disabled pilgrimage passing through Los Arcos

Church in Los Arcos







Viana

Viana

Viana

Ruined church of San Pedro in Viana


Gazpacho 


3 comments:

  1. Hello Joanne!
    Nice to follow you guys. Can't believe I am back home in Montreal and you guys are still going. Feeling a little jealous right now as I look at the pictures! It looks hot and very dry. It is true that as we get rolling we can pack in the kilometers especially on the Camino Frances ... no Pyrenees and slippery/muddy descents to contend with! I loved getting up before day break on the Camino Frances as you can get such lovely pink and orange skies and GORGEOUS sunrises. The fields turn pink as you walk. At this rate you will hit the meseta soon ... I love the meseta! Just think what all those pilgrims who opt for the daily bus ride from town to town are missing!I went back on your blog to see pictures from Italy, that settles it, next time I am off to Italy! Missing the atun though ... I will keep following you to Santiago! Salut to Marius

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see Marius still has his hat but where is the other stick?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving this. It will soon be 10 years since I walked this part of the Camino Frances, but my favorite time of day was watching the light come into the world and then the colors begin so early in the morning as I walked, almost always alone then.

    ReplyDelete