Automatic Translation

Monday, October 19, 2015

Day 21 OR Part 2, day 1!



.... and the rest of the way to San Quirico along the squiggly white line - the old route of the Via Cassia (now replaced by a big wide new highway)

20 km 

It's strange to be back on the road again after a 3 week break! In the meantime the season has changed, meaning I now have to deal with bits like this:  


And find super-giant mushrooms like this along the way:


But most of all it was odd to set off from home, walk for hours and still be able to see home on the horizon! 

Setting off on a misty morning...

And looking back at Resta from 5 km away, on the road to Altesino, the winery we have visited so many times!


I walked among vineyards for much of the way, yellowing now that the grapes have been harvested.


Among vineyards and plowed fields


Why did the chicken cross the Via Francigena?


Finally San Quirico approaches, after what seems like a very long day's walk... I'm not used to this any more!!


My destination is right ahead: the Collegiate church. It's easy to find the pilgrim's hostel - there are laundry lines outside! 

Detail of the church

The door to the hostel

I didn't meet any other pilgrims on today's walk, but there are three Swiss and German women already at the hostel. The German and I run into each other later on buying groceries, and have dinner in the hostel, which has a fully equipped kitchen.

But no internet connection... Which is why I'm sitting here on the church steps next to the lions right now! 

Wearing the jacket I carried for 334 km in September and never wore.... evenings are cooler now! My laundry isn't even considering drying, so I may have to rethink the daily washing policy in the future and settle for a less strict regime of hygiene!

No comments:

Post a Comment