Automatic Translation

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Day 29: Sutri - Formello

38 km

Sutri: the piazza in early morning

Sutri seen from below, from the Etruscan site

The Mithraem, once a temple of Mithra, now the church of the Madonna del Parto

Etruscan necropolis
Amphitheatre dug into tufa stone

Through peaceful farmland to Monterosi



And then again along country roads... and Roman roads!


The Via Amerina, built in the third century BC and still in perfect condition. The Via Francigena crosses over it, and here I stop to eat my lunch.


Monte Gelato waterfall

I'm getting tired but I press on to Campagnano and then Formello, where I've heard there is a wonderful new hostel. And the rumours turn out to be true! The brand new youth hostel in the central square has wifi, individual reading lights on all the beds... and even a washer-dryer!!! A real luxury after ten days on the road, alternating between two outfits and hand-washing every evening!

Arriving in Campagnano from below



Leaving Campagnano 


The last few km coming into Formello are lovely - through woodlands and meadows where horses and cows roam freely - but my legs are really beginning to complain! I want to get some extra km behind me as it is supposed to rain for the next two days - not nice weather for walking.


Formello by night

Formello in the morning
Both views from the windows of the hostel (Palazzo Chigi)

2 comments: