Automatic Translation

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Day 22: San Quirico d'Orcia - Gallina

Departing the Collegiata in the morning

Looking back at San Quirico


Looking forward towards Radicofani - a long way off! Too far for me to walk in one day, especially now that I'm out of practice. So I've decided to split this stage in two and booked a room at an agriturismo halfway along the line. This means I can take it easy today and take lots of breaks, gradually getting my legs used to walking again!


The view from the seemingly deserted village of Vignoni. 
I've passed through here before, on the Bagno Vignoni ring walk with my Dutch friends at Easter.


Coming into Bagno Vignoni, I run into the Swiss and German girls from the hostel last night, and show them around the village. Then our paths split as the have decided to walk along the road to shorten the distance to Radicofani, while I am in no hurry and want to stick to the pedestrian trail.

Crossing the river Orcia


On the other side of the river I find the perfect spot to take a poolside lunch break and nap while waiting for my laundry to finish drying! The house seems freshly renovated but as yet uninhabited, and the pool is brand new, with a strip of artificial grass along the side - nice and soft to lie down and have a nap on, and dry! Not like real grass which is damp at this time of year. So I make myself at home for a while. No-one comes by to disturb me.

This morning's route - 7 km:

And the continuation after lunch - 11 km:
Total for today 18 km.

I have realised that if you pause the GPS tracker for more than a certain amount of time it automatically stops the track. 


It's great to be on the road again, but my legs don't agree. They start to complain after only 12 - 15 km and dream of a comfy sofa... 
Temporary relief can be found in rest stops such as this one, where the well-meaning host could perhaps do with some English lessons!





I think this must be the spot where they took the picture for the Slow Travel Fest brochure.

My legs are actually beginning to revive and remember that they used to do this sort of thing all the time last month, when my destination for the evening comes into view.


And here I am after a nice hot shower, waiting for my dinner to be brought to my chambers on a giant tray. Which makes me feel like a real princess! (Oh dear, I hope there isn't a pea in the bed)

No comments:

Post a Comment