Automatic Translation

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Day 19: Siena - Lucignano d'Arbia

 
17.5 km
 
Leaving Siena through Porta Romana on a foggy morning
 
 
Unfortunately this spread is laid out not for pilgrims, but for a cycling group
 
 
Via di Certosa in the mist
 
 
Certosa - now a hotel
 
On this leg of the trip I met Andrea and Selvaggia, from Versilia, who are walking to Rome on their honeymoon - with two little dogs!
 
 
 
As the curtain of fog is drawn, the beauty of the clay hills south of Siena is revealed 
 
Within a few hours we had left Siena far behind
 
 
 
 
Approaching Cuna! I have always wondered what was within those walls....
 
 
 
And today is the right day to investigate! I was rather disappointed to find that within the walls of the fortress were perfectly ordinary houses. Someone was practicing on a drum kit, and a lady was having an argument with the letter carrier over where to leave the bills.
 
On the way out I photographed the gate of the fortress and the little chapel outside it.
 
A little farther down the road I met a German pilgrim on his very first day walking - he had just set out from Siena. Unfortunately we parted ways when I stopped for lunch in a very scenic spot.
 
 
 
 
 
The Crete Senesi - clay hills of Siena 
 
 
I then continued just a little farther before deciding I had had enough walking for today. It was too far to reach Resta in a single day of walking so I left the Via Francigena at Quinciano, walked down to Lucignano d'Arbia and ended my day's walk in this lovely village.
 
Lucignano d'Arbia - the washing well
 
 
Lucignano d'Arbia - the washing well
 
 
 
Lucignano d'Arbia - the northern gate
 
Lucignano d'Arbia
 
 
 Lucignano d'Arbia - the church 
 
 
 
Lucignano d'Arbia - the southern gate
 

No comments:

Post a Comment