Automatic Translation

Monday, September 14, 2015

Day 9: Molicciara (Castelnuovo Magra)

Heavy rainfall warning: I'm not going anywhere today!


Molicciara may not be Venice, but it has a canal!


The Via Francigena runs along the bank of the canal


Today is the first day of school. I see the teachers are getting in a fresh stock of espresso


For some, it's the very first day of kindergarten. If this little boy knew what he was getting himself into, he might not be so enthusiastic!

In the afternoon the weather continued not to live up to the heavy rain warning, so after making plans for the next couple of days, I ventured down the road to the Lunae winery, only 1 km away. I have always drunk their Vermentino, various grades of which are available on tap and in supermarkets at home, but I was curious to go to their tasting room and try something different. Which I did! Including an interesting Albarola which has only been in production for the last 3 years - quite different from the Vermentino.

We're very near Carrara, and marble plaques are ubiquitous.


The little museum where Paolo Bosoni keeps his old wine-making equipment and photographs on display


The tasting room


Grapevines, and another hilltop village in the background: Marciano

Canal and grapevines, under a threatening sky


My shelter from the storm. After two days, it's starting to feel like home.... I'll miss it!

No comments:

Post a Comment