Automatic Translation

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Day 7: Il Golfo dei Poeti by kayak

On the seventh day, God rested, and so I figured I'd follow His example.

Well actually, I rested my legs, and let my arms do all the work instead!

My Couchsurfing hosts John and Caroline kindly invited me to stay another day and go kayaking with them and American friend Michael across the Golfo dei Poeti.  So named because Lord Byron, D.H. Lawrence, George Sand and of course a load of Italian poets and writers used to like hang out here, while Percy Bysshe Shelley drowned in it.We paddled over to Isola Palmaria for a fantastic seafood lunch, and then across to Portovenere and back to La Spezia, where I discovered that the hardest thing about kayaking is getting out of the boat and onto the wharf without tipping!





John & Caroline

Giuseppe Basso "Iseo", 
Cavaliere Ufficiale O. M. R. I., locandiere di...

Locanda Lorena, Isola Palmaria

Kayaking into Portovenere

Paddling past mussel farms on the way back to La Spezia, with a view of the hills where my hosts live in the background

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. No, I did take my phone, in its waterproof case, but I didn't use the GPS tracker

      Delete