Automatic Translation

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Day 6: The AVG - Alta Via del Golfo

Cozzano - Forte Canarbino
24 km

Unfortunately I accidently stopped the GPS tracker instead of pausing it for lunch, so today we have two separate tracks.


I had to get past La Spezia somehow, so rather than walk through the city, with its busy port and industrial zone, I decided to walk the Alta Via del Golfo trail that goes right around the city, linking the little villages dotting the hills of La Spezia's hinterland via a combination of footpaths and quiet little country roads. The route is well marked, though unfortunately the footpaths are not all well tended; in some spots the path was quite overgrown, and as it had rained hard during the night, my shoes, socks and trouser legs were soon soaked! Luckily I found a nice spot with a view, some shade, and some sun in which to dry my things out while I ate my lunch of fried anchovies left over from last night's dinner in the trattoria, followed by blackberries picked along the way. And a perfect plum, a windfall I found waiting for me right in the middle of the path! Clearly not a well-travelled path, as I was still breaking cobwebs over the trail into the afternoon. 

I arrived in the late afternoon at the village of Pitelli, only to realise that my couchsurfing  hosts for the evening lived quite a bit farther up the steep road to Forte Canarbino, in an isolated cluster of houses in the middle of a national park with a view over Sarzana and Luni, my next stop.
But first, after a gigantic plate of spaghetti to recover the calories I had consumed during the day's 24 kilometres, they invited me to go with them for a day of kayaking!

No comments:

Post a Comment